Gone are the days of just swimming laps in your backyard swimming pool to get in shape. Today’s pool owners are looking to yoga as a way to get in shape. If you’re a yoga enthusiast out of the water, you might want to try water yoga in your backyard swimming pool.
You can practice yoga poses and stances in the shallow end of the pool and use the water’s natural buoyancy to help you with your stretches. Don’t attempt sitting poses when you’re in the pool – stick to standing poses only for aqua yoga.
Here are just a few suggestions for water yoga:
- The Tree. Place one foot on the inside of the opposite knee, bring your hands together and hold them at your heart level and balance on one leg. Hold the pose, breathe deeply. Switch legs.
- The Lunge. Turn your rear foot sideways, point your front foot forward and move slowly into a lunge. Stretch until your front thigh is parallel with the pool floor. Reach toward the sun with your arms. Stretch your spine. Breathe deeply. Move back into a standing position and switch legs.
- Fingers to Toe. This is just what it sounds like… stand on one foot and lift your other foot out of the water to touch your fingers. Hover your palm above the surface of the water and stretch to reach it. Hold the position for a few breaths. Lower your foot and switch sides.
- The Chair. This pose mimics getting up out of a seated position in a chair. Keep your feet parallel and flat on the pool floor. “Sit down” until your face is close to the surface of the water. Stretch your arms above your head. Breathe deeply. Hold the pose. Then slowly move to a standing position.
- The popular Warrior pose. This pose works all muscle groups and is easy to perform. Step forward into a lunge, both feet facing forward. Lift your arms toward the sky, extend your fingers. Sink forward on your extended leg until your thigh is parallel with the pool floor.
There are other very effective exercises and yoga poses to do in the swimming pool. A quick online search will deliver many results so you can easily find something that interests you. Working out in a swimming pool is a great way to get in shape even in the heat of the summer so put on your swimming suit and get your workout done in the pool.