When you’re hanging around the swimming pool with your friends, why not try to impress them with your knowledge of all things water-trivia related.
The swimming pool builders at Hawaiian Pools have compiled a list of water fun facts so you can impress your friends!
- Did you know that close to 70% of all people in the United States don’t know how to swim?
- Did you know that the average person’s body makes 25,000 quarts of saliva over the course of a lifetime; that’s enough saliva to fill two swimming pools!
- The most popular swimming stroke? The crawl (also known as freestyle). It’s also considered the fastest stroke (two facts in one!)
- Did you know that swimming strengthens all of your body’s major muscles as well as your heart and lungs?
- Did you know that an hour of swimming can burn off close to 700 calories; that’s more than walking or biking.
- Swimming is the best cardiovascular exercise you can undertake because the water’s resistance is 10 times stronger than the air.
- Did you know that swimming reduces stress?
- Did you know that swimming is a perfect, no impact exercise for anyone needing physical therapy or rehabilitation from another injury.
- Did you know the slowest Olympic swim stroke is the breast stroke?
- Did you know the bikini was named after a nuclear testing site in the South Pacific called Bikini Atoll?
The next time you’re relaxing in the swimming pool, toss out some of this trivia and test your friends’ knowledge! Feel free to add this additional bit of trivia… an elephant can swim up to 20 miles per day, using their trunks as snorkels!